The fastest-growing counties in the country, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, are mostly in suburban areas outside of urban centers.
The census numbers govern the distribution of more than $400 billion in federal money each year.
Here are the 10 fastest-growing counties:
- Kendall County, Ill. (Chicago), 92.1 percent
- Pinal County, Ariz. (Phoenix), 89.7 percent
- Rockwall County, Texas (Dallas), 88.9 percent
- Flagler County, Fla. (Jacksonville), 83.9 percent
- Loudon County, Va. (Washington, D.C.), 77.6 percent
- Forsyth County, Ga. (Atlanta), 77.4 percent
- Lincoln County, S.D. (Sioux Falls), 70.7 percent
- Paulding County, Ga. (Atlanta), 67.4 percent
- Williamson County, Texas (Austin), 64.3 percent
- Douglas County, Colo. (Denver), 64 percent
Source: CNNMoney.com, Les Christie (06/16/2010)