It’s February and time for me to include my Monthly Tips and distribute to my postcard, email, and newsletter databases. This month I thought it would be informative to have a quiz on home maintenance that I found via the National Association of Home Builders and share with you.
It’s the weekend and you have a whole list of household chores to do. Oh, we know you’d rather be golfing or playing tennis or watching TV, but keeping your home in good shape is important. Your home may be the biggest investment you will ever make. Taking good care of it with regular maintenance is necessary to maintain its value and ensure it will provide a comfortable, safe shelter for you and your family for a long time.
Here is a Home Maintenance Quiz that will test your maintenance knowledge. While this quiz does not address every home maintenance project, it does provide helpful tips and reminders for chores you may have overlooked.
1. How often do forced-air furnace filters need to be changed?
2. What part of the faucet usually needs to be replaced when you have a water leak?
3. Should you run hot or cold water through your garbage disposal?
4. How often should the moving parts of garage doors be oiled?
5. What tools can you use to unclog your drains?
6. What tool can be used to unclog a toilet?
7. What faucet part needs to be cleaned every three to four months?
8. What can you use for traction on icy sidewalks, steps and driveways?
9. Where should the fire in your fireplace be built?
10. What will prevent soot and add color to the fire in your fireplace?
11. Where should your firewood be stored?
12. What helps keep unpainted concrete floors easy to keep clean?
13. What should you use to clean unpainted concrete floors?
14. When can you clean hardwood floors with water?
15. Do hardwood floors need to be waxed?
16. What is the best polish for vinyl floors?
17. When is basement condensation at its maximum?
18. Why should noisy water pipes be fixed promptly?
19. Why should frozen pipes be thawed slowly?
20. How often should your roof be inspected?
21. What should be regularly checked on your security system?
22. To ensure your safety, what household equipment uses batteries that must be checked regularly to make sure they are operable?
23. What do you use to fill nail holes and cracks in plaster walls and gypsum wallboard?
24. What is the white powdery substance that develops on masonry walls?
25. At what temperature should your water heater be set?
26. How often do skylights need to be inspected?
27. What is a simple solution you can use to wash extremely dirty exterior windows?
28. What can you use to help a window slide easily?
29. What should you look for when you inspect your siding yearly?
Click ANSWERS and compare. Source: National Association of Home Builders.
Printable version of Home Maintenance Quiz.